Did you know that you can survive up to 3-4 weeks without food but only 3-5 days without water? How about a bear attack – should you play dead as the myth says? Or should you assess the situation and determine the reaction strategy?
If you think survival shows can prepare you for being stranded in the wilderness or staying alive in harrowing conditions, think again. Although a survival kit may not be all that useful during a bear attack, it’s a great resource overall to help you respond to and recover from unexpected emergencies during a mission.
The ideal survival kit with the right supplies will significantly increase the chances of your survival. But survival kits aren’t reserved only for life and death situations. A well-organised kit will provide you with peace of mind on your mission and might enhance the overall experience.
The truth is, you can’t pack everything you might want due to logistics and circumstances surrounding your travel. A bulky package will slow you down, and there’ll probably be some tools and supplies you won’t even really need due to the unique nature of your mission. So, what are the core essentials that you’ll need all the time, every time? Let’s break down how to pack the ideal survival kit for your mission.
To help you organise your thoughts and guide your actions, ask yourself the following questions before you gather supplies for your survival kit:
• What natural hazards are present in the mission area?
• What is the likelihood of being caught in extreme weather events such as earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, or cyclones?
• How long do I anticipate that I might be without access to utilities and supplies?
• Do I have supplies and training to deal with medical emergencies if medical help is unavailable?
• For how many people will I need to store supplies?
• Do I require prescription medications for any allergies or health conditions?
Before assembling your survival kit contents, you’re going to need a sturdy pack to put them in with ample compartments to organise all of your items. The Valhalla Versa MK III Multicam is the ideal choice for this, as it was specifically designed with the ever-changing mission requirements of the military in mind. Made from 1000D Cordura material and genuine Multicam webbing, the Valhalla Versa MKIII Pack guarantees strength and durability where you need it most. The pack can be transformed from a large, long-range operational pack to a three-day patrol pack, by simply and quickly removing the two side pouches and joining the side zips.
Here’s a list of essential supplies for your mission to consider:
- Water and portable water purification filter
- Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items
- Waterproof and windproof matches in a waterproof container
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio
- Extra batteries
- Deluxe family first aid kit
- Sleeping bag. We recommend the Valhalla Nightwalker V. This sleeping bag takes the concept of a tactical sleeping bag to a whole new level with its compact design, reinforced foot and waterproof base complete with arm ports and a YKK zip to allow for removal of the feet without ever leaving the bag.
- Medication (7-day supply) and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Passport and identification
- Extra cash
- GPS and/ or Map(s) of the area
If your mission includes driving a vehicle, consider also including the below items in a separate pack and leave it in your vehicle:
- A shovel, such as the Gerber Gorge Folding Shovel that features a nifty push-button collapsible handle. What’s more, it can be folded back to reveal a textured head that can be used as a hammer.
- Extra water
- Extra first aid kit
- Recovery Tracks/Treads
- Extra non-perishable Food
- Warm clothes/jackets. We recommend the Valhalla Softshell Jacket Multicam. Not only does its three-layer integrated shell provide the insulation you’ll need, the Softshell Jacket has multiple pockets for utility and storage, making it both comfortable and versatile.
- Emergency flares
- Car cell phone charger
- Jumper cables
- Automotive tool kit
Packing your survival kit can be an overwhelming task, but it’s vital to keep emergency tools at hand if the unexpected happens. Most importantly, you must be physically and mentally strong to survive your mission with a positive mindset.
At Valhalla, we have tackled and survived dozens of missions. The tough, the gruelling, the almost unthinkable: we’ve done it all. That’s why we are here to guide you with the best advice, tips and products for your mission. Have a look at our product range and pack your survival kit with quality items. If you cannot find what you are looking for contact Valhalla’s experienced team today!